Tuesday, March 4, 2008

oh daddy...how I love yah....

It was a regular monday night. Off to the land of strip malls and winding roads to uniform houses.

Why this trip? To visit who else but maybe the coolest old farts I know.

the parents. woodbury. ahhh, to reminince in a town I never really called my own.

Minnesota has been home for almost 11 years but yet it's never really felt like home. Odd. But maybe not, since Minnesota sucks in oh so many ways and I have a feeling I'm one of those types that will never really settle down.

Anyway....let me rekindle a story.

So we had our dinner. Full bellies and belly laughs. Beer. reisling. and Red lobster. mmmmmm. mmmmm. good. Nothing like chain restaurants and generic soda pop.

It's a typical night. Along with typical conversation. You know the drill, what are you doing? How's the asshole cat who pee's on all your stuff ? When are you taking him to the humane society *which of course is always my father's line. My mother is an animal lover like the rest of the Baker clan. Somehow in his old age my father has taken to hating all living things. Especially Minnesota drivers, but that's a whole other blog I'll entertain you with some day.*

Anyway where was I ? oh yes. the drill. the line em up! The why aren't you doing what we ask of you young lady and it follows suit likes this:

" Did you call the dentist?"

"no"

"did you call the insurance company?"

" no"

"did you get rid of that damn cat yet?"

"no. I like him dad. He's got one more chance before they inject him with death syrup."

"did you get your oil changed yet?"

"um. no. I will tomorrow. promise"

"Well good for you sweetheart!! Thanks for puttin in 100%! Fantastic Job! As he throws his fist in the air for some wild hearted salute.

Laughter erupts the good ole hyundai. I enthusiastically reply with an upbeat, " No problem! Glad I can make you proud!"

And we all wonder where I get my sarcasm and suprisingly upbeat pessimism from.


:)

No comments: